The main objectives are the establishment and the full implementation of “Solar Thermal Technology Platforms" (STTPs) into all Centres of Competence in Namibia, Mozambique and South Africa, and cross-linking of these platforms into a Southern African Solar Thermal Technology Platform (SASTTP) by the end of the SOLTRAIN STTP project.
Description of work
Within this work package an organisational structure for national Solar Thermal Technology Platforms (STTPs) in each partner country except Zimbabwe will be established. These platforms will be cross-linked into a Southern African Thermal Technology Platform in order to enhance the information exchange and the cooperation between the platforms.
The national STTPs include stakeholders (companies, higher education as well as administration and policy) who make a positive input to improving growth of solar thermal applications in all relevant sectors.
The STTPs are each preparing a Vision Document and a national Solar Thermal Roadmap and implementation plan . The document shall be based on the European Solar Thermal Vision, adjusted to the needs of the respective SOLTRAIN partner country.
The Solar Thermal Roadmap and implementation plans include the following:
- -- A capacity study for thermal applications for different sectors (domestic hot water systems for low incomes houses, middle and high income houses, social sector, hotels, industry, cooling etc.)
- -- Proposal for national training programmes (installers, vocational schools, higher education etc.)
- -- Proposals for national support programmes, to be prepared in close cooperation with the key stakeholders in each country.
- -- Measures to improve the national or regional production or assembling of solar thermal systems. This has to be done in close cooperation with local manufactures.
- -- Measures to improve the component and system quality.
- -- An applied Research and Development (R&D) agenda in order to strengthen the regional know-how.
- -- Implementation plans for different application sectors (timelines, quantities and necessary measures to reach the goals.)
The STTPs meet at least twice a year. For the implementation, the financial sector will also be involved in order to provide adequate financing schemes for different user groups.
It is also the responsibility of the STTPs to organise a link to other solar thermal activities or international interventions in order to avoid duplications, and to harmonize the different activities.
The main stakeholders and drivers of this work are the respective project partners in each country, who build up on the experience gained in the SOLTRAIN 1 & 2 projects.
Work package 3.1 Establishment of national/regional Solar Thermal Technology Platforms
The national project partners (in cooperation with AEE INTEC) shall invite all relevant stakeholders to cooperate in the framework of Solar Thermal Technology Platform (STTP).
For this purpose national/regional founding meetings are going to be held within the first 6 months of the project. The purpose of these national founding meetings, is to compile a first draft of the work programme and bylaws of the STTP.
The next steps are the definition of an institutional structure within the Centres of Competence (see WP4), the vision, and the implementation strategy and work programmes.
- In Namibia, Mozambique and South Africa STTPs have been established
- In order to support the respective national policies, key stakeholders to be invited to cooperate in the Solar Thermal Technology Platforms are (besides solar thermal companies and vocational institutes) the following:
- -- Mozambique: Ministry of Energy, Mozambican Energy Fund (FUNAE),Fundo de Energia
- -- Namibia: Namibian Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME)and the national Housing Enterprises
- -- South Africa: Department of Energy, Eskom, City of Cape Town Initiative.
Work package 3.2 Solar thermal Roadmap and Implementation plan
Within the regional/national STTPs a Vision Document and a Solar Thermal Roadmap and implementation plan, adjusted to the needs and potential will be established. In order to have a broad discussion on the content and priorities of the Roadmap and the Implementation Plan, a series of at least four workshops will be carried out. In this process all relevant stakeholders, who are needed for a later stage of implementation shall be involved in this process (companies, higher education as well as administration and policy).
These national Vision Documents and the Solar Thermal Roadmaps and implementation plans will be published in a printed version and presented at special public workshop in each country. At the same workshop the official launch of the STTP takes place.
Work package 3.3 Implementation
In cooperation with national stakeholders, a sustainable implementation programme shall be introduced, taking all other related solar thermal activities, as well as national and international funding sources and support mechanisms into account.
Information exchange and establishment of a regional roadmap for solar thermal technologies
The overall goal or aim of SOLTRAIN is to contribute towards the inevitable transition to sustainable energies, specifically solar thermal. The purpose of the Regional Solar Thermal Technology Roadmap (RSTTP) is to align and integrate national Roadmaps, crosslinking to a virtual Solar Thermal Technology Platform (Regional STTP events) in order to enhance the information exchange, and the cooperation between the platforms. The organisational structure and way of cooperation is going to be defined after the first 12 months of this project in August 2013.
The project partners in SOLTRAIN II are Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe. They are to be joined by Botswana in SOLTRAIN III
- -- D 3.1 First drafts of the description of institutional structure, the vision, the implementation strategy and work programmes of the national STTPs
- -- D 3.2 Bylaws of the STTPs
- -- D 3.3 Solar Thermal Roadmaps and implementation plans for each country available in a printed version
Milestones and expected results
- -- M 3.1 Establishment of national Solar Thermal Technology Platforms and bylaws enacted by the members of the STTPs
- -- M 3.2 Official launch of the STTPs Vision document and Solar Thermal Roadmaps for each country presented at a public workshop
- -- M 3.3 Establishment of a virtual regional STTP, which co-ordinates the information exchange between the STTPs of Mozambique, South Africa and Namibia.
- -- M 3.4 The first two STTP stakeholder workshops carried out by each partner
- -- M 3.5 All four STTP stakeholder workshops carried out by each partner
SOLTRAIN event at SAIREC conference 2015
SOLTRAIN and Blackdot Energy Chalmar Beef Project 2015